Tuesday, September 4, 2012

SLM - The Journey Begins

**SLM stands for Salesian Lay Missioners, the program through which I am volunteering.  For all posts, "SLM" is interchangeable with "volunteer"**

I have been in South Sudan now for a day and a half.  It was an incredible feeling to sleep under the African stars for the first time last night.  I have been dreaming of this adventure for a very very long time, and it's finally here.  All things happen in God's time. 

There are some drastic differences between here and America.  The roads are worse and the people are nicer.  Transportation is much more arduous here because very little is paved.  The dirt roads have huge, crater-sized holes so one must drive very slowly.  I don't know if anyone can even get above second gear.  Wherever I go, people wave and smile.  Everyone is so welcoming.  I sat in wet paint today and the kids I passed by were quite happy to share a laugh with me about it.  Just outside the Salesian house is a vast field where the kids play sports (all the kids in the country, it seems).  A few of the other SLMs jumped right into the middle of the games, something that I think would be much harder and more awkward to do in America.

This evening, 5 young men were ordained as pre-novices.  Afterward, we had a wonderful celebration.  The people here love music, and we danced and sang and laughed.  There is a sort of... purity... to the simplicity of life I feel here.  I already feel very welcome.  I think it will not be too long before I feel at home.

1 comment:

  1. That was so very beautiful, Caitlin. I honestly could hear your words as I read. It was like having you here. I loved reading this. It makes me feel very much as though I am there with you. You must continue to write, your writing is so alive. Thank you for sharing this experience.

    Love and miss you tons,

    Vivian

    ReplyDelete