Friday, February 8, 2013

Maridi Gets Moving Again

Holidays are over now, which means the pace here in Maridi is quickening.  The children returned to school Jan 28th from a two-month hiatus, just in time for yet another celebration.   I am so grateful to have school responsibilities now and to be living with & for my kids here in South Sudan.

Teaching:
  Now that school is back in session for the new year, I’m much busier than I’ve been over the last two months.  And for me, busier is better.  I am teaching  English Composition to grades 4-8.  There is no curriculum and no books to work off of, so I’m creating my own course completely from scratch.  This is mostly exciting and a little bit intimidating.  These kids have zero background in writing (I found out today that my 6th graders don’t know what a sentence is) which means that right now they know nothing, and hopefully by the end of the year they’ll know something.  I will teach them the importance of being prepared for class (and life), organization skills, respect for their resources (notebooks and such), and good study habits in addition to neat handwriting, vocabulary, creative thinking, and solid critical writing.
  I’m also teaching English reading, writing, and public speaking to the three aspirants a few times per week (aspirants are young men preparing to enter the seminary).  And I’ll start coaching football next week.  This is another area in which the girls have little to no background, which means I have the privilege of building a team from the ground up and introducing to them all of the priceless things sports teaches kids.  I have a few other administrative duties, but the teaching and coaching are by far my favorite and what will take up most of my time.

Ordination:
Last week, we had an ordination here (when someone officially becomes a priest).  There was a Vietnamese deacon who couldn’t be ordained in his home country because of the Communist government, and he chose our little village as the place for his ordination.  What an honor!  It was an amazing sight to witness, a man saying “YES!” to God.  “Yes” to following the Shepherd, and “yes” to leading His sheep.  It was inspiring to say the least, and especially good for our children to see.  I only hope to channel his spirit and willingness in my attempt to guide my students.

1 comment:

  1. Your enthusiasm, generosity, and love will be good guides for your students. As important as good writing and critical thinking are (this from a former English teacher and present editor-writer!), the love, generosity, and enthusiasm for your kids are by far the more important. God bless you--and them!

    ReplyDelete