Thursday, December 18, 2014

My Africa


Eventually it had to happen.  I had to leave my beloved South Sudan.  At the time of my departure (I can’t believe it was a year ago!!!!) I wasn’t able to write a post about leaving.  The following poem is my “goodbye”.


Africa
1 billion people, 11.5 million mi2 of land, 58 countries
Countless cultures
Jammed together into a single word
What do people think?  What do they see?

Hunger
Skin and bones, distended stomachs
Violence
Machete-wielding warlords and child soldiers
Disease
Mosquitos killing people, AIDS-ridden children, Ebola Ebola Ebola
Sub-humanity
Mud huts, voodoo magic, tribal ridiculousness
                Savages
Uneducated people, uncivilized lives, undeveloped societies

My Africa
600 students, a few thousand villagers, a couple acres of land, 1 brand-new country
2 cultures – mine and theirs
Melded together like peanut butter and jelly
What do I think?  What do I see?
 
Simplicity
Children thrilled with tires and sticks for toys
            Hospitality
Feeding visitors a 3-course meal while they go hungry themselves
Work ethic
All day every day in their fields/at home/at school
             Family
Everywhere you look, yours = mine = ours

Culture
Rich experiences, National Geographic made real
                Community
The entire village sprinting to someone's home upon news of a death,
“It takes a village to raise a child”
                Sacrifice
A kid quits school so his little brother can afford an education,
kids sharing everything
Faith
Songs about Jesus, accepting God’s will, purity of heart, an example to us all


Forgiveness
A child’s hug after an unfair punishment, a friend saying “let’s start over”
Kindness
Little boys 'stealing' my shoes only to return them spotlessly clean
                Hope
A teenage boy who’d rather pray with me than play with friends
                Compassion
A 6yr-old’s loving embrace when her teacher sobs about having to leave

                Communication
Language rendered meaningless, speaking with the heart,
Two separate worlds collide under the influence of a simple smile
                Progress
The whole school coming to support the girls’ football team instead of “keeping them in their place”, girls having the opportunity to enjoy themselves and build each other up, kids slowly realizing that they too matter
                Pride
Children professing Mary as their role model, crowds gathering for rosary each night
                Humility
Standing in the presence of a real angel, giving up oneself for God,
The last shall be first

                Peace
Silence during adoration, never feeling homesick, sunrises and sunsets, 
God’s hand upon my shoulder
                Patience
People kindly educating an outsider’s ignorance
                Joy
Children sprinting towards me, endless laughter, cross-cultural games, common sports, kung fu, mud fights, dancing dancing dancing
                Challenges
Physical/mental/spiritual, pushed far beyond my limits
                Strength
Everyone fighting the same battle against the devil
                Happiness
For the first time in a lifetime, not having any doubts

Love, Love, Love
Every moment of every day
40,435,200 seconds of ‘agape’
What it was all about
                 Dear Africa
My heart pounded your name before I knew you, and I’ve loved you more every day since we met.  You are my soulmate, my best friend, my mother, and my child.  I will never forget you.  Please don’t forget me.
T.I.S.S: This Is South Sudan

3 comments:

  1. Cait: Powerful and simply beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Cait! Very inspiring and awesome! you let your heart in the poetry. Keep climbing heights and leaping to higher grounds. Just back form Maridi and the Girls miss you. The Soccer team needs to be realigned as some have become Mothers already (you cud understand what I mean). Wish you a holy Christmas and a blessed `new year 2015. You are always welcome back to ROSS. Fr Ferrington sdb

    ReplyDelete